Nebraskans Occupy Chicago

Riddle me this.
Why is it so thrilling to drink "out of town" with people you already know?
You know what I'm talking about, when you're in a different city or something 

and happen to run into someone you know at a bar and it becomes the coolest, 
most shocking thing ever.
 You might not drink with this person back where you live, but damn it tonight you're gonna be besties. Because who really goes out to meet new people, anyway? Not this girl, that's so 2005.  
So you can imagine my excitement this past weekend as the entire state of Nebraska 
flooded into every single Chicago bar.  
I saw long lost friends I didn't even know were my long lost friends. 
One bar in particular, Burwood Tap on Friday night, was like the high school reunion I never went to.
As each familiar face walked through the door the night just continued to get better and better.

Never mind that I had just seen all of these same people about two weeks ago in Nebraska for
the Wisconsin game.
This time we were in Chicago drinking and chanting GO BIG RED.
So it was a totally different feeling. Totes.

As good nights usually do, everything flew by in the blink of an eye,
and the pour of a Goldy shot.

Suddenly it was already Saturday morning and we found ourselves jumping on 
the train to head up to Evanston, bloodies-on-the-go in tow.



So then we tailgated.
 Threw a football around a parking lot.
Ate a hot dog.
Drank from Red Solo cups.
And did the porta squat more times than I would have preferred.
Standard game day activities.

All was going quite well until we got into the stadium.
I don't want to be the one to say it, but those damn games really ruin my Husker fun.
Sometimes I wish we could just tailgate and not have to worry about stupid football.

Because we were losing almost the entire game.
And it was pitiful. And boring. 
And all I could think about was concession stand food.
Stadiums and airports have the same affect on me. I could have just eaten a turkey dinner and yet
I'm still ready to always take on one more thing...One more nacho...

Anyway, the thing I hate most about losing is the toll it takes on my buzz.
And the overall buzz in the stadium. 
What was once a happy excited filled morning quickly turned into a dreary tired afternoon.
But whatever, at least I had the plaid scarf club to keep me company.

Long story short- the Huskers ended up winning.
But when I look back on this day, I'm not going to remember the win.
I'm going to remember than an actual miracle happened last Saturday afternoon.
A little boy smiled for the very first time. 
A little, middle aged usually very angry man boy, I mean.
And that little boy's name is Bo.  Caught on camera was our coach, Bo Pelini, smiling after a win for the first time in Nebraska history.
It was.... oddly beautiful.

So good job, Huskers.
Way to take the spotlight back.
We always knew you had it in you, Honey Bo Bo.



Photobucket

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter