How To Make a Toddler Like You

After just two and a half years, I am happy to report my nephew Knox and I,
have officially turned a corner.
We struggled a bit in the beginning, but he's finally got to the point where he's realized how cool I am.
And now he really likes me.
He likes me so much he has to show me everything. And everywhere.
His new bed, his sand box, his basement, how he golfs, how he runs through the sprinkler,
his choo-choo, and he even likes to share his fruit snacks with me.
It wasn't just two months ago when I'd try to sneak one of his snacks and he'd catch me out of the corner of his eye and try to bite my hand off.
Now I don't even have to ask.

Obviously I'm thrilled with this sudden change of attitude,
but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was just a bit skeptical as well.
The insecure girl inside of me can't help but wonder if perhaps he's using me?
*sidenote: Knox is one of the very few people in this world who makes me feel insecure,
the workers at Platos Closet are number two, second only to receptionists at hair salons.
As I've mentioned, Knox's little sister is coming tomorrow,
and we are all just certain she is going to be this perfect little baby angel.
So even though Knox likes to pretend he doesn't really understand what is about to happen tomorrow,
I think he's knows damn well.
And I also think he's panicking a bit and realizes it's high time he better make good with the rest of us.

Speaking of the baby girl, she's officially a "blogger baby" thanks to the adorable Salt-Water Sandals
I ordered that just arrived in the mail.
(Eleanor is her going to be her style icon, and if you don't know E you obviously don't stalk blogs, 
good for you -congrats on having a life.)

Anyway, a lot of people think toddlers are kinda dumb, but I think they're geniuses.
Just a bunch of little crack head geniuses.
They're completely eccentric, change their mood at the drop of a hat,
yet have zero tolerance for others acting poorly,
they run around restaurants like they're hammered for no good reason, as well as any other public place,
and they expect everyone to "watch!" them at all times.
And we do. And as long as they're smiling we applaud them for it.

For the past few weeks I've been able to spend a bit more time with Knox than usual so I've made a conscious effort to do little things to make him like me more.

How to make a toddler like you:
(have zero humility, as demonstrated in this photo.)

1. Every time you greet them, act like it's the best thing ever.
This is what I do-
"Hi Knox!!! Knox is here?!! Wow, everyone look Knox is here!"
And I say it in the most enthusiastic voice ever acting as if this is the first time I've seen him in years and I can't believe how lucky I am.
(I picked this up from watching my mom act this way every time she greets my dad.
Jk that'd be weird. But she has been doing this with Knox his entire life.)

2. Presents. 
This one seems simple enough,
but the key here is to bring them really random shit they won't soon forget.
Like for instance this time around I just bought Knox a children's fondue maker.
When I purchased it I actually just thought it was a "play fondue maker,"
turns out it actually boils real chocolate- talk about an awesome safe gift for a two-year-old!
3. Play with them.
For hours and hours and hours. And no matter what, they always have to win.
This one has been probably the hardest for me to grasp.
I like playing of course, but I'm not a fan of fake-losing. 
Knox and I were having a water gun fight the other day and he hit me right in the face 
(from close range I should add)
but when I nailed him from behind (from close range I should add) he started bawling, 
and suddenly I was the bad guy.
I learned my lesson and haven't water blasted him again and all is good.

Naturally, after achieving my goal of getting Knox to like me I was feeling pretty good about myself.
 Until it dawned on me that I hadn't trained him to like me,
he'd trained me to like him, and give him everything he wanted in the process.

Toddlers: baby idiots, or baby geniuses?
I think I've made my point.

Come back tomorrow for my first outfit post! Kidding.
Or am I...

Photobucket

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter