That night I tried Stand-Up...

*This is not from Saturday, I just look like such a theatre dork in this photo it felt appropriate.

So Saturday night I bucked up and finally tried my hand at Stand-Up comedy.
Go ahead and say it, I know what some of you are thinking.
So you think you're like really funny, don't you?
No Regina George I don't, thanks for asking though.
I did it because it was one of the most terrifying things I could think of,
and because it was cheaper than skydiving.
I feel like sometimes you get to rockbottom a point in your life when you just have to do
what scares the crap out of you to figure out what to do next.
And for me, that was Stand-Up.
I've thought about it doing it forever, but every time I imagined myself on stage "doing my bit,"
it literally made me want to throw up.
That's why I knew it had to be done.

So I finally took the plunge and signed up for the open mic at The Second City on Saturday night.
I was supposed to be fifth in the line-up, but two people didn't show up so suddenly I was third.
And for my nerves, those two people made a huge difference.
I was the only girl in the place, and every other "comic" around me had
their notebooks out going over their jokes.
But I just sat there stone cold, debating whether or not to bolt.
At one point I whispered to Chris,
When they call my name I might stay quiet and not move, 
Taylor could be a boy's name for all they know.
The guy right before me was a Russian man who talked about finding sexual partners on Craigslist,
kinda a hard bit for a girl from Nebraska to follow, if you will.
But when the host announced, is Taylor Wolfe here?
My adrenaline took over and I just jumped up and grabbed the mic.

And then I just rolled with it.
Again, I know it sounds trite but it almost felt as if I blacked-out for all of the four minutes,
but I'm pretty sure the first thing I said was something along the lines of,
Well it's gonna be hard to follow the Russian Craigslist killer, but I guess I've got no choice...
Pretty lame, I know.
But then I just started making fun of myself in every way shape and form.
And much to my surprise, I got a few laughs.
Considering I was the only girl in a room full of comedy guys, I was pretty honored,
even if they were just being kind to me.
When the host flashed the light in the back telling me I only had one minute left,
 I could hardly believe it.
And when I was finished and sat back down next to Chris I was literally in shock at how insanely
fast those four minutes went by.
It was the weirdest feeling ever.
And one of the best.

So yeah, I realize I didn't move mountains, or run a marathon,
or really do anything that spectacular at all.
But screw it, I was pretty proud of myself.
If I'm being completely honest, I was kinda hesitant to write this post just because I hate the stigma
that goes along with people trying to "do comedy" or "entertainment stuff,"
but then I realized how pathetic and cowardly that is.
This is what I love, and this is what I'm going to keep doing.
At least until it stops being fun or someone tells me to get the hell off the stage.

So if you get a chance, do something that terrifies you this week,
it's kinda great.
For whatever reason I just heard "The More You Know" song
 in my head after writing that corny last line.


P.S. Happy Monday.

Photobucket

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter