Look For The Helpers

The Chicago marathon runs right by my house,
so last year Harlow and I stood outside with the rest of the crowd to cheer on the runners.
I remember Harlow was in absolute seventh heaven because he was surrounded by a slew
of happy little kids showering him with attention.
Toddlers were on their dad's shoulders, grand parents stood arm-in-arm,
and babies were in strollers.
I'd never been to a big race before so I was amazed at how many people had come out.
There was just a sense of camaraderie in the air.
It reminded me somewhat of a church get together, the way everyone was in such a good mood,
and there was just an overall lightness about them.
I can only attribute this to the fact most people don't run a marathon just for the race.
It's usually for a much deeper reason.
Some people run it after beating cancer,
or they run for their parents, or their kids, or for their kids who can't run like Team Hoyt.


I love what the back tire says here, It's A Good Life!
And it is.
Even though evil things like yesterday really resinate with most of us,
I think it's important to try to remember that there still is good in the world, as well.
Just look at the images of the first responders,
the people running toward the blast while everyone else runs away from it.
The people taking the clothes off their back, to give to those who's clothes were blown off.



We see a lot of people in uniform helping out, but if you look through many of the photos,
you'll see even more without.
Civilians helping out in any way they could.


Just people helping people.
The goodness of humanity outshining the evil, even just for a second or two.

I saw this quote circulated quite a bit yesterday and I really like it.
In the midst of all the darkness, you can always count on Mr. Rogers to bring out the light.

I didn't intend to write about this today.
But for me personally it would have been inauthentic to write about anything else.


Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter