Last Call


I sometimes wonder why it takes a death to reunite a family.
But then I remember life gets in the way and most often you just can't help it.


Like I mentioned, I came back to Nebraska this week because my step-grandpa
passed away last Saturday.
He had been suffering from Parkinsons for quite a while and was to that point where
everyone said "it was his time to go."
It was his time to go. 
As if he was at a sleepover that had ended.
We've all said it, but the more I thought of that phrase it just started to sound kind of weird to me.
I don't want people to say this about me.
I think I'd prefer "she decided she was over it" or "it was just her last call."

Even if it took a death to reunite the cousins and aunts and uncles,
we still managed to make the most of it.


If you'd like to know why I have the sense of humor that I do,
come hang out with my family and me as we throw back a few drinks.
We basically spend the entire night telling stories and ragging on each other.
So if you're easily offended, or haven't acquired a thick skin in life, you might want to stay away.
We can get pretty brutal on each other.

So even though funerals kinda suck,
I feel like they give families a reason to walk down memory lane
and share memories that haven't been heard before.


My dad in the red, his older brother Bill, and his younger brother, Pat.
Warren, the man in the middle, is the grandpa I never met who passed away when my dad
was just in his early twenties.

I love this photo. I just think it's hilarious.
I wonder what made my dad laugh so hard?
And better yet why is he wearing a muscle tank with jeans?
Why does it look like my uncle Pat curled his bangs under?
And that mustache on my uncle Bill is just classic.
What I wouldn't give to have lived in the 70s...

Anywho, I'm supposed to be watching Knox right now while Jade runs a few errands.
I left him in the living room with a book a matches.
The kid loves them.
We've been lighting and blowing out candles for the last thirty minutes.
Who needs Sesame Street when you've got fire.

Happy Thursday, make the most of it.


Photobucket

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter