Blogger Faux Pas

People often ask me what makes a great blogger.
And by "people" I mean no one.
No one has ever asked me this.
And for good reason, because I obviously don't know.

However,
after reading some really great posts lately from other bloggers regarding their tips and suggestions for mastering this blog world I thought I'd go ahead and share some of my own advice.

I should also note after reading all these posts I've realized I don't really do much right.
So my tips are going to be more along the lines of "don't dos" and "probably shouldn't haves."

Blogging Faux Pas
(Basically just a list of everything I do)


#1. Not enough selfies.
I hate selfies (of myself) I love them of you.
I just haven't got the whole "hey, will you take my pic" thing down yet.
Even when I'm just asking myself this question while standing in front of a bathroom mirror.
I say no every time and then immediately shame myself for even asking...
The last photo I took of just me was in 1989 and it looked something like this.

Oddly enough, this jumper (which I can only presume my mom bought at Dress Barn)
still fits today.

#2.  Respond to all comments.
Guys, I love your comments.
What kind of asshole wouldn't appreciate hearing such funny
and nice responses regarding something they wrote?
But I don't respond to all comments, and from what I've read on other blog posts,
this pisses a lot of you off.
(Not me in particular, just bloggers in general)
Most of the time I don't respond just because I'm not sure what to say,
I read the comment, I usually chuckle to myself, and that's that.
I'm not not responding because I'm like so busy and I think I'm like way too cool
(because we all know if you have a blog you are neither.)
I guess I just didn't realize every comment needed a response.
I comment on other blogs all the time and don't ever expect a response.
Here's the bottom line- I genuinely appreciate every single comment/email ever sent my way
even when I don't respond.

#3. Proofread.
There is nothing worse than reading a blog with punctuation errors.
(According to other blogger's posts about punctuation.)
So to that I say, I'm sorry.
My Inglish major is not terning out to good.

#4. Blogging is not just about blogging.
It's about cliques, and popularity, and gossip, and whatttttt?
I'm not really into all that in real life, so I guess that's why I don't notice it in my blog life, either.
Four years ago I started blogging because I love to write,
always have, always will.
Four years later I blog for the same reasons.
Let's not forget this in an online world here, guys.
Yes, it's fun, and yes it's a great community,
but allowing online people to make you feel bad about yourself
is opening up the flood gates for all sorts of other shit.
Unless you're reading that blog about that stylish Mormon girl and her two babies in NYC,
it's completely fine to feel like Joe Dirt next to her.

#5. Sometimes other bloggers have JOBS, which means they are super busy.
True story, I recently emailed a blogger whom I had paid to advertise on her site.
Ten days into the month she decided to stop blogging, okay fine we all need a break.
But this also meant she didn't keep her end of the deal and never posted that damn guest post I paid for.
(before you continue please note this should be listed under the hashtag "blogger problems"
meaning it's all very petty and completely bizarre to anyone who doesn't blog.)
I sent her numerous emails asking her if she got my post, with zero response.
Finally I sent her one last email asking for a refund.
Mind you I kept it very cordial saying things like
"I'm just frustrated" "I don't want to sound bitchy" "You seem like a nice person"
you know, all of those cowardly nice phrases that I usually don't use.
Within minutes she responded with an email starting with her own nice phrases like
"LOL"
not sure what was so laugh out loud about what I said, but continue
"I have a JOB"
way to hit the unemployed girl while she's down... and really, are caps necessary?
I remember what a job is. I think.
and my favorite
"I have a lot going on"
Okay, point taken. She's better than me because she's busier.
If only she could see how much TV I have to watch a day! Then she'd be sorry.
And my blog reader? Well that thing is damn near full.
And that Dorito bag isn't going to eat itself.
But I digress. I think I might just be bitter, what do you think?
spoken in fast radio voice: she said a refund will be coming my way shortly.

And those are just five things you shouldn't do as a blogger.
I've got a whole bag of them.
Maybe someday I'll tell you about the time I emailed Erin out of the clear blue last March
and casually mentioned to her I'd love to guest post on her blog for a day!
Because that's how I assumed this whole bloggy thing worked.
I'd choose blogs where I wanted to share my lovely opinions, and they would gratefully accept.
Luckily I choose to solicit Erin first, probably the nicest of all bloggers,
because she kindly responded with a very polite email explaining to me things worked a little differently.

And speaking of guest posts, I am about to share one below with you that is one
of the most to-the-point, no none sense, shortest guest posts ever.
i.e. you're going to love it.
Her name is Jen and she doesn't mess around.
She's too busy planning her sky diving trip.


Hey I'm Jen and I blog at Mama Said There'd be Days Like This. 
I am a 27 year old single mom who works full time as a bookkeeper and is going to school online to get my accounting degree. 
Since it's the beginning of the year I thought I would share with you a few of the things I hope to accomplish this year:

~Hike Pikes Peak
~Go skydiving
~Get in great shape
~Do well in school

I hope you will stop by and say hey!





Photobucket

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter