A Typical Summer Day In My Life- when I was ten.

Depending on how late I was up the night before killing all of my people on Sims,
I would get up around 9 or 10 a.m.


Breakfast was always my first hard decision for the day.
Hot breakfast (Toaster Strudels) or cold breakfast (Reeses Puffs)?
More times than not the frosting packets were already eaten so I would opt for the cereal.
and yeah, I was usually the one just eating the frosting sans the strudel.



After my teeth were fully coded with a nice lining of candy cereal it was time to get dressed.
Most likely this would consist of Z Cavaricci jean shorts (only because I was fancy like that)
and any type of oversized t-shirt with the phrase "NOT" on it.
Think: Boys Are Better Than Girls... NOT!
I'm Just a Kid... NOT!
My big brother is the boss... NOT!
Finished off with some jelly shoes and a NIKE viser,
most likely worn upside down like you see below.
At least I was ten when I did it...


After I was dressed I'd probably pick up my clear phone and dial up my pals just for a quick chat.
And yes, I still have all of their home phone numbers memorized to this day.


After we discussed what happened on Lizzy Maguire and Even Stevens the day before,
we'd probably plan to meet up at the pool.
(Permitted one of our moms would take us.)
If we couldn't get a ride to the pool our day was absolutely ruined.
Hooking up the Crazy Daisy sprinkler next to the trampoline had lost its luster years ago.



More times than not, we'd get a ride to the pool which would allow for at least five glorious hours of
underwater tea party, chicken on the diving board, and challenging ourselves to see who could do the most somersaults underwater.
My record is nine. I almost passed out afterward, but it was well worth it.
And I can't forget the diving sticks. Most notably the sticks with the little plastic ends that always proved way too tempting not to chew off.

And of course there always had to be that kid at the pool with the best inflatables,
while the rest of us suckers had to try to pretend our foam sticks called "noodles" were just as good.
My friend, Mallory, had a blow-up whale. That thing was as good as gold in my eyes.
It was hard as hell to actually get on, but that was half the fun of it.
I would have given my right foot as a kid to have that whale.


Instead I had one of these, and of course mine were always missing huge chunks from where the dog had taken a bite.

But the best thing about the pool was always the food, french fries just taste better poolside.
And if I wasn't allowed to buy a snack for the day I'd just eat bags and bags of free popcorn.
Wet, soggy, pool-water covered popcorn.

The best feeling as a kid in the summer is coming home from the pool all tuckered out and just relaxing on the couch with a bag of 3D Doritos in your lap,
maybe a little Are You Afraid of The Dark on the TV.
And I'd stay like that for the next few hours until I felt it was time to be productive again
and get out my "bead kit" or "thread box."
It was bracelet time.

Most likely my mom would be hosting a summer garage sale soon and it was my duty as a ten-year-old
to sell my hand goods to all of the creepy old women in their turquoise jewelry that stopped by.

I'd finish off the night by flipping through my Limited Too magazine,
or my sister's Delia's magazine checking out all of the cool spaghetti strap tanks and drawstring pants,
and also getting new hairstyle ideas.
Like "horns" or "knots" or anything involving butterfly clips.

After spraying my Bath & Body pillow spray on my bed, I'd drift off to sleep under the stars,
(the stick-on stars)
sleeping as peaceful as can be, knowing I'd get to do it all over again the very next day.



Photobucket

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter