The adventures of Harlow and Tay

After having worked out for the first time last night since the 80s,
I was fully expecting to have a great day today.
Once I put in my one workout for the year I usually ride that endorphin train out until next winter.
So you can imagine my disappointment when I went outside to start my car today and it didn't respond.
I should also clarify and say that while it is true I work from home,
occasionally I have appointments elsewhere.
And today was one of those "elsewhere" days.

That grey beauty with the long ass is my ride.
I call her Camry. America calls her the most oversold car ever.

My initial reaction to something like this is always to start crying.
You know, it's the whole fight or five year old thing.
I always choose five year old.
But I knew tears would have to wait, today I had to be a grown up and solve this problem asap.
This was around 10:40 a.m., my appointment was at 2:00 p.m.

Start the stop watch now.

10:45 I call Wells Auto Service.
Me: My car like won't start and stuff and I don't know what's wrong.
And it can't be the battery because the beeper thinger still works when I put my keys in."

Wells: It's your battery.

Me: No it's not.

Wells: Okay. But yes it is. We'll come jump you and then you can follow us to our garage so we can take a look to see what's going on. Be there in 10 minutes.

11:25 a.m.
They're not here. I call again.

Me: You're not here. And I have a really important appointment today.

Wells: We'll be there in 10.

Me: For real this time?
They hang up.

11:45 they finally arrive.
Harlow and I are already outside waiting.
Why Harlow was with me I still don't know. He's just always with me during the day I guess.

11:48 the jumper cables come out.
I know it's not just the battery, they're not going to work I say to myself.
They work.

11:50 he tells me to follow him to the garage.
 Me: Sure just let me grab my purse.

Now this is where a logical person would run their dog inside, as well.
Instead, I put Harlow in the car and said "wait right here, Har."
He nodes to say okay.
I often don't think situations through. Just ask Chris. I make irrational decisions like it's my job.

11:55 I'm driving to the garage with Harlow in tow.
It suddenly dawns on me I will have to get out at the garage and will have a 50 lb dog with me.
Who brings a dog with them to get work done on their car?

12:00 at the garage.
I'm told I can't wait in the lobby with my 50 lb pound.
They'll call me in "25 minutes" to tell me what's wrong.
I can tell them what's wrong right now, they don't allow dogs in their lobby!
Civil rights, people! C'mon.

So Harlow and I start walking down Wells Street.
And much to our delight we find three wonderful dog shops to browse in.
So we bought a new winter coat (for him) some bones (he loved them) and a new leash (for me.)
And then I realized that while this might be an awful day for me,
Harlow might be having the best day ever.

12:45
I say screw it and Harlow and I head back to the car lobby.
I bring Harlow into Nordstrom for God's Sake, he can sit his pretty ass in a mechanic shop for a minute or two.

1:00
my car is fixed!

1:01
I'm given a "why is this dog in here?" glare.

Good news. It was just the battery. Like I knew all along.
Bad news: in Chicago a new battery costs $200.
I always get taken at the car shop. Always. No matter how butch and bitchy I try to appear
they perform a robbery every damn time.

At least I could make it to my appointment.

1:15
Somewhere in between parking my car and running inside (to drop Har off)
I dropped my white iphone in the snow.
Did I mention I did this exact thing yesterday?!?! Seriously.
Ten minutes later the phone still doesn't turn on and I'm running late for the appointment.


1:35
Snow is falling heavily at this point. Traffic is bad.
My spirits are incredibly low.

1:55
I get to the appointment and on my way in the sole to my boot breaks.
And so I proceed to sit through my 30 minute appointment with a frost bitten foot.
And very low self esteem.

A car that won't start, a phone dropped in snow, a boot with no sole,
and a happy ass dog along for the ride.
Harlow and I need our own comic strip.


3:30
I'm calling it a day.

Photobucket

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter