Back to School

I think it's officially here.
Back to school time.
I went to my first appointment today and all of the little kiddos were back in session.
And even though little kids usually bug me, I couldn't help but notice how darn cute
they all looked in their little navy and white uniforms.

First day of Kindergarden. My denim dress is so chic.

I've always loved this time of year.
And I can't pinpoint why exactly.
When I was little I think I was always just so excited
at the start of summer to do nothing for three months
(because those other months were so stressful)
And so by August it was always exciting to get the ball rolling again and get back in school.
I guess the same kinda goes for my "real life" job, as well.
I've spent the last three months watching cartoons, sleeping til noon,
and eating Dilly bars on the couch in my swimsuit.
It wasn't until just recently that I had to actually start getting dressed every day to go into my appointments.
So yea, turns out my life hasn't changed all that much since the 90s...

Back in the day I loved this time of year because it meant...

New school clothes. 
Sure wish my parents still took me on shopping sprees every August...
This shirt came from Gap Kids. So did the book bag. 
Let's pretend not to notice my brother scowling at me in the background.

School supplies. Hells yea.
Why don't new notebooks and new pens thrill me like they used to?

Cold lunch food: Dunkaroos. Gushers. Mini chips. Lunchables (nacho kind, please) Capri Sun.
Now this shit would still thrill me. In fact, I need to go buy some.

TGIF TV. Step by Step. Family Matters. Two of a Kind.
Not gonna pretend I don't still get excited about new fall TV. Hello "Breaking Amish" anyone?

Locker decor.
Again, why was a magnetic mirror so cool?

Friday nights at the rink. Skating rink that is.
Roller skating in elementary. And then the "dances" in middle school. Talk about a white trash extravaganza.

Dr. Marten Boots.
Mom & Dad, I truly thank you for the hundreds of dollars you spent on these yellow laced beauties every fall.
And yet I can't help but look back and wonder why on earth you did...
Because clearly these clunky shoes did not flatter my overly large feet, as noticed below...
Nor did they make up for my mouth-full-of-braces "smile."
(first day of 6th grade)
poor awkward eleven year old me...

As for today, 
I love this time of year for a whole new plethora of reasons:
Fall scented candles
Fall house decor
Pumpkin Lattes
(although I only actually drink one a year because they're too sweet for me)
Riding boots
Fall jackets
Shrugs, scarfs, and capes oh my!
And of course, Husker tailgating.
And Husker tailgating food.
And Husker tailgating friends.

And I think I need one more honorable mention for Cold Lunch food.
Because I just can't stop thinking about it now once I brought it up:
Nutter Butters, Zebra Cakes, Fruit by the Foot, String Things, Bugles, Ritz,
Jammers fruit snacks, Star Crunch, Fruit Roll Ups.
Holy shit, how did I not weigh 500 pounds as a kid?
Clearly I need an entire post devoted to this.

And now before you click away, can we all look at those 6th grade feet of mine one more time?

This has to got be a joke or something.
It looks like I'm wearing oversized cow bells on my feet.

Photobucket

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter