Sunday I golfed.

Golf is hard.
It takes all of the skills I don’t have: patience, perseverance, and a strong mental capacity.
I prefer to throw clubs, scream profanity, and when all else fails,
track down the beer cart girl.


And today,
well, I have the pleasure of being on a five-hour car ride with three fellow employees
on the way to a sales training in Michigan. Let’s call them Debbie, Donna and Deliah.
They’re all over the age of 40, single,
 and like to talk about things that make me very uncomfortable.
In fact, I’m sitting in the backseat “working on a book”
 so I don’t have to participate in their conversations about match.com dates, balding men,
and the inappropriate gift one of them received on their last blind date.
I’ll just say it required batteries.

We just took our first pit stop.
I found a Starbucks right off the interstate,
but Debbie decided to find a different one “just up” the road.
It turned into a 20 minute excursion, and there was no Starbucks in sight.
I love when people ask for directions and then don’t listen to them.
We ended up at a gas station.
The women’s restroom was closed so we all used the men’s.
Awesome.
When we came out Debbie had “jokingly” pulled the van around the block.
Hilarious. That joke never gets old.
She continued to wave and drive away as we all trudged closer to the vehicle.

Love it.
You know what else I love about sales meetings? Nothing.
Well that and the fact everyone is a comedian.
Ever been in a room full of 50 people who all want to add their 2 cents and their own
 “that’s what she said” joke?
 It’s miserable.

Even though I sound uber cranky, I swear I’m not.
It’s just the after effect of getting up before 4:00 a.m. for the last two mornings.
 I’ll be fine. FINE.
Have you seen the movie “Cedar Rapids?”
Because I’ll be damned if I don’t end up in the hotel pool tonight with a
trash can on my head.
Just call me Dean Ziegler from here on out.


I’m going to put on my sales face, slap on a pretty “Hi I’m Taylor” name tag
and I’ll be ready to go.
I’ll be schmoozing with the other Northeast sales reps like I own this company
 by cocktail hour tonight at 6:00.

I just have to remember the 3 key points for any surface conversation:

1.     Weather 
  2.     Recession 
  3.     Steve Jobs

On the flip side, three things I have to remind myself to stay away from.

1. The Mayan Calendar
2. Jerry Sandusky
(as well as using "Sandusky" as a verb, noun, or adjective)
3. Westboro Baptist Church

That's all I've got. It's only two days. I can make it.
I just have to toughen up and Sandusky the shit out of the next 48 hours.


PS- I was guest posting at a very sweet blog yesterday-
All in a Row{e}
Make sure to head on over there. Now.

     

Photobucket

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter