My Day with Miss Ruud

Today I had the honor of being able to volunteer in one of the most prestigious 4th grade classes in all of Lincoln, Nebraska. 
Miss Ruud's class. 

After college, Kim was heavily recruited to teach in schools all across Lincoln. And after today,  I can see why.

She runs a tight ship in that class of hers.



The schedule is as follows:

8:55 a.m.- Students come into class while the "Cha Cha Slide" plays overhead.
Students are encouraged to dance along to it, "if you guys don't start dancing I'm gonna have you get up on your desks and do it"-Kind of ironic coming from the girl who often preferred to be elevated when dancing...

9:00 a.m.- Warm up chant begins
"What are we gonna do? LEARN! What are we gonna give? EFFORT!"
It's a very uplifting cheer to wake up the spirits for the day and get the brain going. I loved it so much I asked for a copy so I can start every one of my days in the same manner.

9:05 a.m.- Pledge of Allegiance
The students recite the pledge in a perfectly beautiful coordination while Kim does a ribbon dance with the American flag around the room. It brought tears to my eyes.


9:10 am.- Homework Check
Students who brought their work are awarded with a trip to the treasure chest. I LOVE treasure chests. Although I could tell Miss Ruud is pretty generous and must allow numerous trips to the treasure chest because I was actually the only one in the class who squealed when she made this announcement.

9:15 a.m. - Get Right Down to Business
Todays lesson: Fractions and Probability

Oh shit. Fractions are the death of me (along with geometry, trigonometry, algebra- basically anything that doesn't involve reciting the times table in under thirty seconds.) And what in the hell is probability? I knew I was probability going to hate this lesson. 

I was right. The first question Kim asked the class about fractions I decided I wanted to make up for all of the questions I couldn't answer as a 10 year old, and raised my hand.


"1/7!" I proudly proclaimed.
Kim smiled sweetly and responded,
"That's a good try Taylor, but it's actually 3/8."
I knew I shouldn't have raised my hand. The whole class erupted in laughter. It was 1997 all over again as my cheeks instantly flushed bright red and I tried to laugh it off. I'm such an idiot!
Kim told them to quiet down and said, "That's okay, we learn from mistakes."

But it only got worse from there. She wanted me to go from table to table and help the kids with probability. 

Example:
"An event that is probably going to happen"
is the answer "most likely" or "likely"
This is where I start to take things too literal. I always have. I take the simplest question and twist it 100 different ways until I feel like Helen Keller trying to do a cross word puzzle. 

An event that is probably going to happen sounds like something I wouldn't plan on going to anyway.

"An event that has good chances of not happening."
 Is it "not likely," "most unlikely" or "who the hell cares just go to the event that is probably going to happen."

It was too much for me. I hated to pull Miss Ruud aside and have her clear it up for me because I was there to assist her, not bother her with tons of questions. But I couldn't help myself. This shit was crazy.


And you can see Miss Ruud's students adore her. I drew her the photo in the middle (the girl in the blue shirt with the long hair) I was so tickled to see she had it up on her board.

Overall, it was a great morning. 
I really wish I could go back tomorrow because I didn't get a chance to participate in the M&M activity she was running in the back of the room and it looked pretty damn interesting. And I'd really love to see that patriotic ribbon dance again.

Until next time, thanks Miss Ruud for filling my brain for the day.



Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter