Hocus Pocus

I broke my own rule last night and I accidentally watched Hocus Pocus. It's way too early in the season for Hocus Pocus, but after I came home from a pumpkin-carving party I was just feeling all festive so I thought what the hell, let's break it out. And so I did. And now I've got Halloween on the mind, and the holidays that follow it, and it's all I can think about. So I figured I might as well write a post about my favorite little witch, Dani- clearly I'd forgotten that I already did this exact same thing last year at this time. Go figure. But after rereading the post from last year I realized I still stand by everything I said so why not just share it again? Sounds like a plan to me. So here it is.

Why We Love Hocus Pocus:

Because Thora Burch was about as good as it got in the 90s.
She was the sassy spitfire every eight year old wanted to be.

I mean who didn't idolize Teeny from Now and Then? And don't even get me started on Monkey Trouble.

When little Dani first awoke the Sanderson Sisters and just rolled with it by pretending to be a fellow witch, I remember thinking, man this girl is clever as shit.
And she needs an Oscar.


And besides Dani, can you think of a prettier 90s girl than Allison?
An old fashioned Halloween party in a mansion?
Now that's cool.


Allison gave dorky guys hope everywhere.
Because let's be honest, the only thing Max had going for him was his sweet ass bedroom.
If ever there was a time I had an obsession with attic rooms, it was this time.

Tie Dye is so California.

Even though I always thought Max was annoying, these two douchers really pissed me off. I can hardly watch this scene to this day.
I mean who steals sneakers? Seriously.


And wouldn't stealing candy from a child be labeled sexual assault or something?
These two gotta go.

As for these three...

Well they changed Halloween as we knew it.
And I'm also pretty sure this might have been the only time in SJP's life when she was known as the "pretty one." No offense, SJP, you know I love you.
The Sanderson Sisters would create lasting feuds between little girls for years to come based solely on who got to be "Sarah." Everyone wanted to be Sarah, a few go-getters might have been okay with being Winni, but absolutely nobody wanted to be Mary. That was mostly because she could only talk out of the corner of her mouth. What was going on with that I wonder? A distant relative a Angelica Pickles perhaps?

When Sarah sang Come Little Children I was sold.
I would have gone anywhere.
In fact, I still like to listen to that song this time of year just for shits and giggles. Go ahead and press play, you can thank me later.
Come little children, I will take thee away... Into a place of enchantment....

The black river. The Devil scene with the dog. Headless Billy. Binx coming back to life.
The parents dancing for the rest of their lives. It's just all so good. I could go on for days.
But I need to stop.

Bottom line, to say this movie changed our generation would be an understatement.

XOXO,
Emily Binx


 photo signature-23.png

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter