A Timeline of Blogging



I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but blogging is a funny thing. Those of us involved in it could talk shop for hours, while those of you not involved in it typically have no idea what goes into blogging. Although I've started to notice that when I tell people I blog, they're usually kinda fascinated by the whole idea of it and there's always a few things that seem to peak their interest the most. Such as the fact money can be made from blogging, free things are sent to bloggers, and blogland is ran by beautiful Mormons. Those always seem to be the three things that immediately grab the attention of non-bloggers. Hell, I'm obviously a blogger and those three things still grab my attention.

I'm then usually asked when and why I started blogging. To which I never know what to respond. Because writing a diary on my computer just started to feel a little weird at age twenty-two, so I felt the need to the broadcast my thoughts on the internet instead, like every other millennial? Or because I was going on my first business trip and wanted somewhere to complain about the TSA? I honestly don't know why I did it. I just know that one day I signed onto blogger. com and started rambling and haven't stopped for over four years.

Just for kicks, I decided to make a timeline of sorts documenting the way my blog got started, and the different ways it has changed over the years.

7.11.2009 The Daily Tay is born.
"Day 1 of my real job" is the first post ever written.

8.19.2009 I decide to get "fancy" and add a photo to my page design. And so this photo would stay as the main "design" of my page for the next two (plus) years until I decided it might fun to add another photo...


8.17.2010 Over 1 year into blogging I receive my first "random" comment from someone named "Momma" on one of my posts and I am freaked out. Who is this person? How did they find my blog? Am I suppose to answer back? WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN? Luckily, it would be about three years before I started getting regular comments so I had plenty of time to settle into it all. Never want to do too much too soon, you know?

11.8.2011 I get the bright idea to add a photo to one of my posts! (gasp!) Of all the posts I choose to add my first photo to, it's the one I wrote about Michelle Duggar being pregnant for the 27th time. If you click on over don't say I didn't warn you, chances are a few of you will really hate it.

12.27.2011 I receive my first negative comment. And like the little idiot I was, I freaked the F out. And it wasn't even that bad of a comment, looking back it was actually pretty truthful. It was probably written by Chris the more I think about it.
12.28.2011 Naturally I had to write an entire follow-up post to said comment the next day. Guys, I'm not proud of this. But it happened so I have to be honest and put it out there. We learn from our mistakes.

1.4.2012 I start the new year off with a bang and begin a new segment I'm really excited about entitled "Letters From Me." Keep in mind I had no idea what link-ups were and thought I was an absolute genius for starting this. Sadly, it faded out by February.

1.24.2012 I get really crazy and start adding even more photos to posts! Unfortunately, I haven't quite figured out how spacing works just yet.

2.10.2012 Rather than simply hitting "publish" one day I play around on blogger for a minute or two and realize I can actually check my traffic. Mind --> blown. (Keep in mind this is THREE YEARS into blogging.) I just honestly never cared before so I never thought to look.

3.1.2012 I discover blogland and suddenly things really start to change.

3.10.2012 I get over zealous and try to start my own link-up. No one joins. Insert (womp, womp, womp) sound here.

3.18.2012 I get serious and even do a little blogging from Italy.

3.28.2012 I decide to contact my first big blogger and inquire about blog advertising. Shit is getting real... Erin says my name in blogland just one time and suddenly more traffic starts heading my way.

6.10.2012 I try to grow my blog even more and offer to guest post for anyone and everyone who asks. In June of 2012 I wrote about 30 guest posts. And I think I grew by about 100 followers, so that was fun.

6.15.2012 Steph gives me an unexpected shout-out one day and I think it's the COOLEST THING EVER! Because it really was.

7.1.2012 I start to accept paid spots from other bloggers and am so excited about it I don't handle it well at all. My apologies about that one.

9.20.2012 I hit 1,000 followers!

September 2012- Current Still changing, still learning, still adapting, but always trying to remain consistent to why I started blogging in the first place- to complain about the TSA. And to keep myself writing every single day.

And this post officially took me a helluva lot longer than I expected. Such is the life of a blogger.

 photo signature-23.png

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter