Looking Back

I'm currently laying on my lovely hotel bed in the wonderful little city of Denton, Texas full to the point of exhaustion thanks to the pounds of Tex Mex I ate earlier at a place called Chuys. Chuys, that's really the name. I still can't get over it. I half expected Chelsea Handler's little nugget assistant to be serving my food in a sombrero and roller skates. Much to my disappointment, he did not.

This little slice of heaven is apparently a pretty popular chain around here? Am I right, Texans? Well it sure seemed to be tonight anyway. Every single booth and bar stool was full, not to mention the all-you-can-eat nacho bar had a line through the door. That's right, an all-you-can-eat nacho bar! That sounded more like a challenge to me than anything. Well challenge accepted, I ate all I could and then some. 

So even though Chris and I don't usually eat at chains in Chicago, if the city got a Chuy's we might just have to change our attitude a bit. Because Chuy knows his stuff.


Fine Tex Mex indeed. 

Anyway, because I have to get up by 7:30 a.m. in order to catch the continental breakfast tomorrow morning, I'm attempting to whip out a blog post tonight. If there's one thing I hate, it's missing a free breakfast. Even if said breakfast is just mini cereals and cold bran muffins. I sure love me a mini cereal box, they're perfect for plane rides, and also for distracting yourself in a sales meeting. But because I'm pretty much in a refried bean coma at the moment I'm having a bit of writers block. 

So when I'm drawing a blank for something to write about I'll often go back into my older posts and see what I was up to one year ago around this exact time. This is something I've been doing since back in the day when blogging was called "keeping a diary," and my blog was really a sweet navy blue journal from Limited Too with an actual lock and key with the words STAY OUT JORDAN sprawled across the inside cover. Although back in the day what I was doing year to year was more along the lines of "being totally bored at school" and "wish I didn't have track practice tonight." So what I'm getting at is that I don't like my brother reading my blog so STAY OUT JORDAN, just kidding he doesn't read anyway. But seriously, I found a little gem in the archives from a year ago I have to share a few excerpts from. 

Written on the night of my very first class at The Second City:
"Once upon a time I got this bright idea I wanted to take classes at the Second City. Well those classes start tonight. And I want to know what in the hell I was thinking. A. My cold is in full force and I am drippy, raspy, and all over shitty feeling. B. I just want to lay on the couch all night. and  C. I hateeeeee meeting new people/trying new things. I know "C" is pathetic. But it's true. I'm already all uncomfortable and awkward for myself thinking about walking in tonight and not knowing where to go. Or where to sit. Or who to talk to. Or what to wear. And how to fit in with the "type" of people who take Second City classes. {The over zealous thespian/ aspiring comedian/actor type.} I become that type only after a lot of drinks... " 

Whoa judge Judy. Look who went on to become the "over zealous/aspiring comedian/actor type" anyway. I sound so snotty and judgmental I can barely read it. I then go on to say,

"Oh me and my damn bright ideas. I am soooo dreading 7:00 p.m. tonight. But I think deep down I just know I need to do this. If not only just to say I gave it a try. It's been on my "life list" for about ten years now... So tonight when I'm super uncomfortable, and pretending to be on my phone, or trying not to let my face get super red and blotchy, I will remember Chris Farley was once here. I will be in the exact same classroom where all the greats started. So I guess that right there makes it kinda worth it. At the very least it will give me new stuff to blog about on Wednesdays."

Sorry for all the improv heavy posts this week, as you can tell it's just been on my mind. And reading back just from a year ago reminds me of what an asshole I used to be and how doing something I wouldn't normally do (like improv) has really made me better at life in general. At least I like to think so. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if I would have let my shitty attitude win and never would have attended that first class last year. I think I'd always still be wondering what could have been. Kinda funny when something you dread doing turns out to be the best thing ever.


And this is all coming from the dorky girl currently repping her Second City "YES AND" t-shirt.
The most basic rule of improv: Yes, and.

Moral of the story, always follow your internal compass. Even my pessimistic self one year ago couldn't shake the feeling I should try something I was scared of doing. And one year later, I am so very glad I did.

yes and?

Photobucket

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter