What Day Is It?

Every single year right at the start of summer as if on cue, black birds take extreme joy
in flying over my parent's pool and dropping poop on their cover.
I'm not just saying they casually fly over and happen to drop mid trip, they actually fly down from their nests with their droppings in their mouth, and deliberately place it right on the pool cover.
And it drives me insane.

So last weekend after I spent hours scrubbing the cover trying to get it ready for pool season,
I decided to do something about it.
I got out Knox's squirt gun and started shooting them with water every time they flew by.
It started out innocently enough, I'd continue scrubbing and then every time I'd see a bird I'd quickly grab the water gun and chase them off.


One thing lead to another and the next thing I knew my mom came home and found me sitting like
Drum Eatenton, gun in hand, guarding the pool like the crazy lady I am.
(And if you didn't catch that Steel Magnolias reference I suggest you watch that movie ASAP.
No one should lead a life having never seen Julia Roberts drink OJ as Shelby Eatenton.)

By the time Knox came over this had turned into a full out game that he wanted to be a part of,
as you can see below...
And so we "played" for the next four hours or so.
And when I say four hours I really mean twenty-four because that's what it felt like.

And the funny thing is most times Knox wants nothing to do with me, but as soon as he figured out I was good for something he would't let me sit down.
Every time I'd try to take a break he'd point his gun at me and say "Tay-Tay, up."
It sounds cute, but it got to be a little menacing with the way he'd aim that water gun right in my face and demand TAY-TAY, UP! or else...



The rest of the weekend was spent at Chris's cabin boating, fishing,
and trying to survive a tornado in the night.




It was a Sunday Funday, alright.
That is until Chris broke the key while it was still in the boat ignition and suddenly we were trapped in the middle of the lake just as the sun was going down.
When we first got on the boat the sun looked like this...


and then this...

and then I caught a fish right before it officially got dark.


About thirty seconds after Chris took this shot and I declared I'm the new Bear Grylls,
he stood up too fast and broke the key in the ignition with the force of his knee.
And we were stuck.
And it was dark.

After searching the boat high and low for a spare key and trying to get it going by every means possible we finally gave in and called The Flynn Tow Service to come rescue us.
Being the good blogger that I am, naturally I photographed the entire rescue right up until the end.


I jokingly said "hey, at least it's not storming out" as we sat and waited to be towed in.
Low and behold, just a few hours later in the night a storm blew in. A big storm.
It was around 1:15 a.m. when suddenly a huge gust of wind came hauling in out of nowhere.
We hurriedly ran to shut all of the windows in the cabin as everything close to them began to blow over,
it was just like my favorite scene out of Parent Trap.
Then the electricity went out just about the moment we started to hear the tornado sirens blare.
Suddenly a window shattered on the porch from the force of the 90 mph wind.
This is about the moment I started to panic, Harlow too.


We all just kind of stood around wondering where we should go, or even if we should go.
Eventually, Chris said the part of the storm with the tornado cell had passed us and we were all safe to go to bed.
For whatever reason, everyone seemed to trust Meteorologist Chris like he was
Jim Flowers (that one's for you, Nebraska) and all just went back to bed.
But not me. I didn't care what Chris's weather app said, I knew I couldn't fall asleep.

A tornado never touched us, but the thunderstorm continued on well until 5:00 a.m.
And I was awake for every last bit of it.
Not just because I was a little scared, but mostly because Harlow was really scared and insisted on sleeping right on top of my legs and would claw into me every time thunder would boom.
It was a long night. Which made for an even longer Monday.

Now I have no idea what day it is today, and I'm drinking coffee and it's 5:00 p.m.
I'm a little off track. Don't worry, I'll be back on by Friday, I hope.
Happy Wednesday.


*I just had a spot open up for The Saturday Takeover this weekend.
If you're interested, please click here to get more information or email me at thedailytay@gmail.com
Photobucket

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter