My 1st Year Anniversary With Chicago

Chris and I are no longer new to Chicago.
As of today, we have officially lived here for one year.
So we're basically locals.
I've even caught myself saying Chicagooo with a long "o" as of late.


This is Chris and Har in the UHaul we drove all the way from Topeker to Chicago.
It's one of my favorite photos ever.
I feel like they both have the same smile on their face.

On June 1st 2011 we traded the rural living for a life in the city.
Goodbye parking in a garage,
(or a driveway for that matter.)
And quick errands across town to Target, or Tj, or Pier One...
Or the novelty having two bathrooms, oh I can't even remember the glorious days
of having a "guest bathroom."
It just sounds to ritzy to me now.
Or being able to unload your groceries right from you car 
right into your house just steps away.
Hello street parking,
and walking down the block to get groceries 
or across the street to get dry cleaning
and simply knowing that something five miles away
will probably take at least 25 minutes to drive to...


But for right now I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's true, some things are just more of a hassle in the city.
Like driving or public transportation
or the fact Chicago likes to nickel and dime you for every damn thing
street parking pass: $200
dog city pass: $25
Chicago tollway pass: $55
Entertainment cable fee: $30/month

Okay that's a short list, but I swear there's more. 
And it doesn't get much more ridiculous than having to pay for a "dog pass"
just so Harlow can walk around legally and not have to
worry the gestapo will stop him and ask to see his papers.

It's all trade off though. You take the good with the bad.
For instance, last night Chris and I
jumped on a bus right on the corner of our street-
and just for the record 
city busses aren't as scary or taboo as movies make them out to be,
in Chicago they're actually usually better than the train...
Anyway, we hopped on the bus,
rode it a few blocks to a great dinner spot called Wilde
where we met up with friends and then walked across the street to the Laugh Factory.

Of course I had to make Katy promise me should wouldn't
under any circumstance
let me drink enough to the point where I thought I needed to jump on stage...
It wasn't amateur night.
And I wouldn't even be allowed on stage for amateur night.
I would, however, probably be allowed on stage for 
"Drunk Girl Thinks She Can Tell Jokes" night.

When I drink, I often get aspirations to do stand-up... It's embarrassing, I know.
I can't. I don't even know jokes. 
My drunk alter ego is just annoying like that. 
Before I would become a female comedian I'd have to do one of two things-
gain weight or become a lesbian. 
And those are just two things I'm not sure I can commit to right now.

I'm rambling.
What I was trying to say is
 happy one year anniversary to me and Chicago.
It's been pretty great.



I can say happy anniversary to myself right?
Yeah, that was probably weird.

Time for some weekend. 
Have a good one!

PS- excited for all of the guest posts I have coming up!
Thank you to everyone who contacted me!




Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter