Never Neverland

It occurred to me last night as Chris and I were dancing like two idiots at the
Of Monsters and Men concert that him and I are really becoming more like the Lost Boys every day.
The Lost Boys of Never Neverland, that is.
I think we are literally refusing to grow up.

We don't seem to be doing the "normal things" most people our age should be doing.
i.e. getting married, buying a house, saving for the future...
We just keep having way too much fun enjoying everything Chicago has to offer.
We went from acting like we were 40 year olds just three years ago living in a small town,
with stable jobs, doing responsible things adults should do...
To living in Chicago chasing our dreams and staying out too late.



(For all of you Of Monsters and Men fans, it was a great concert!)

But I've basically realized living in a city encourages the Neverland syndrome, there seems to be a lot of people here that don't want to grow up.
Just go to a bar at any time of the day and you will find them.
That is one thing about Chicago that never ceases to amaze me, whenever you walk into a bar or restaurant on any given day of the week you will not be alone.
Sunday afternoon, Monday night, Wednesday morning, it doesn't matter.
People are always out and about, ready to have a good time.



The only thing that occasionally interrupts my joy of living in Never Neverland is social media.
I often wonder how people felt bad about their lives pre Facebook & Instagram.
I mean don't you think it would have bothered Peter if he could have kept tabs on Wendy via Twitter?
A "just got a huge raise at work #blessed!" tweet would have annoyed him for sure considering he can't even afford to eat real food most of the time...
Rufio! Rufio! Rufio!
Or at the very least it would have pissed of Tink, she was always a jealous little fairy.

I guess May must be a let's get engaged/married/pregnant/buyahouse kinda month.
It's fine. I get it.
I was telling Chris about one of the girl's I like to stalk on social media,
 (only in a nice way because I'm a little envious of her life and can admit that)
and described her to him as, "you know that one girl who I'm obsessed with because she lives in that great house with her cute husband who buys her whatever she wants."
And I am just now realizing how pathetic that sounds having typed it all out... anyway though...
Chris responded, "Tay, that was going to be our life if we hadn't move to Chicago."
That's Chris for ya, always the logical one. But he's right.
Had we stayed in Kansas we'd both have our cushy jobs (his was cushy, mine was corny)
we'd probably own a nice house, with a garage to boot,  and maybe we'd even be (GASP) married.

But instead we chose Never Neverland.
And even though I sometimes longingly look at other people's lives with their big homes,
and their big backyards, I wouldn't trade what we have for a minute.
Well maybe a minute, just to remember what it's like to have a garage that goes right into the house...
But no more than a minute.


Sure the grass may always look greener on the other side,
but this is Chicago, nobody has grass.


Photobucket

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter