Taking the Stage: tomorrow's a latter day.

Taking the stage last Friday night at The Second City was
exciting, exhilarating, and all over in the blink of an eye.
Because of straight adrenaline I may or may not have blackedout for some of it,
but from what I recall I talked about thermostats, hotdogs, and Tampax at one point.
My mom taped some of it, but I am way too nervous to watch it yet.
Give me a few years.

Being on stage doing improv for the first few times is a bit like being at a dance recital,
without having a routine.
Scary at first, but eventually I bet I'll be able to Maddie Ziegler the shit out of it.

{the photo of myself on stage was immediately removed after just having clicked "publish" and I received a text from Chris that said "whoa crazy dress you wore."}
jerk.

Okay fine, some of you wanted to see the "weird dress" so here it is in all
of its unflattering glory....


I swear it looked better in person. Probably not though. And this is why I prefer my grandma style.
I never have to worry about weird bulges/gross wrinkles on the fabric.
PS the stage adds ten pounds. Everyone knows that.

Anyway....

 I would be lying to you if I said I was completely happy with my "performance."
I had a million woulda coulda shouldas the second I stepped off stage.
But I'm not surprised, I'm quite tough on myself (I've been told.) I think I'm just realistic.
When I was in middle school I used to say the same "motivational line" in my head every single time before trying to clear the high jump bar,
"If you don't make this you deserve to be shot."
Not even kidding, I can only assume I learned this terrible phrase from growing up on the rough streets of Norfolk, Nebraska.
In high school, after I'd have a bad basketball game I'd literally sit in the shower and replay every single mistake in my head over and over and over until I was so upset with myself I'd just sit and cry.
But I digress, this is all sounding way more depressing than I intended.

I'm just trying to say I'm more motivated than ever to get better.
There were times when I just stood back and thought too much about what I was going to say,
rather than just saying it.
An idea would come to mind, but I thought it was "too easy" so I'd try to expand it in five different directions in order to make it even better, and by the time this was done the game was already over.
I'd missed my chance.

But here I go again, I'm thinking way too damn much about it.
The bottom line is that I had a blast actually being on stage,
I didn't fall, I didn't freeze, my pants didn't fall down, and I even managed to get a few laughs despite myself.
(Thanks mom, dad, and Jade for sitting in the very front row!)



So hells yes I'm ready to do it all over again.
Which is a good thing because starting tomorrow besides just Second City,
I will also be taking classes at Improv Olympic.
And from what I've heard about IO, I should be pretty excited.
So yeah,  I'm going to keep practicing this comedy stuff until I'm good,
or until I stop liking it...
Let's hope option 1 happens first.

And at this point I should tell you about the show we saw Saturday night,
The Book of Mormon.
I loved the dancing, and the songs, and just the overall hilarity of it all.
But I should remind you I'm not easily offended, in fact, 
there is very little in this world that offends me at all.
So if you're like me, I would highly recommend seeing this show.
And if you're not like me, or if you are indeed Mormon which I've heard there are a few of you out there in blogland, I would be interested to hear your opinions on the show if you've seen it.
I've heard some Mormons aren't fans, but yet in the playbill last night there 
were several advertisements for the Mormon religion.... So riddle me that.

Politically correct or not, I had a good time.
My dad however was disappointed, he was offended because he was expecting to be more offended.
Explain that one to me.

Overall, it was a good weekend. Great in fact. I would do it all over again if I could.
Thank you all for the supportive comments sent my way last Friday,
just give me another eight weeks of practicing my wise cracks and weird voices and I'll have
the balls to post some videos.
Maybe.

Time to get ready for another Monday...




Photobucket

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter